It is the mission of the department of Business Administration to provide quality education and professional training leading to the award of a B. Se. (Business Administration) degree, which may be awarded with honours or as Pass degree.
Towards this end, the curriculum is broadly interdisciplinary. First the students are exposed to foundation courses in English, Economics, Mathematics, Computer and Philosophy/Logic as background for problem solving. Second, the Department offers compulsory “core” Courses in Business and Management, Accounting, Marketing, Finance, Production, Personnel and Human Resources Management, Quantitative techniques, Small Business and Business’Policy for career entry into Business Administration and Management positions in private and public business-industrial enterprises.
Finally, students are expected to select a set of elective courses with orientation and enrichment to their general education and business/management career objectives and biases.
The capstone of the programme is the project work in which each student selects a business related problem for intensive study and applies his/her knowledge for its solutions under supervision of a member of academic staff in the Department.
The objectives of the Department of Business Administration are to:-
1) Provide and facilitate for a qualitative business management education and training of young men and women for initial entry into management career.
2) Engage in research into local and national business related problems and contribute to the development and use of knowledge in the field of management, thereby helping to improve the practice of management.
3) Provide for the development of teachers and researchers in business administration and management fields.
4) Establish a resource base for the development of local case studies and materials for the teaching of business management to teachers at both the secondary and tertiary institutions and to managers from business and industries.
5) Offer research and consultancy services in business management and related fields for the benefit of organisations both in the private and public sectors, for the state and federal governments that might require such services.
FOUR YEARS PROGRAMME (UME)
- Candidates must have obtained 5 credits at not more than two sittings in five subjects including English Language and Mathematics at WASC or GCE or National Examination Council (NECO) Ordinary level examinations. In addition to this, a good UME score would be required of any prospective student under this mode of entry/study.
THREE YEARS PROGRAMME (DIRECT ENTRY)
In addition to (a) above, candidates must possess any of the following qualifications.
a) GCE advanced level or HSC passes in Economics or Business Management and at least one other subject.
- National Diploma (ND) in Business Administration or Management Studies of approved Polytechnics or Colleges of technology with a grade not lower than the equivalent of Upper Credit.
- Diploma in Marketing, Personnel, Office Administration or General Management of the Department of Business Administration of Olabisi Onabanjo University with a grade not lower than the equivalent of Upper Credit.
- National Certificate of Education (NCE) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business Studies, Accounting or Economics with Distinctions, Credit/Merit and any other subjects.
- Passes in the final examinations of recognized professional Management/Business Administration bodies such as Institute of Marketing, Institute of Purchasing and Supply, Institute of transport etc.
In all cases, the pre-requisite of possessing five Credits at WASC, GCE ‘O’ Level and NECO in subjects, which include English language and Mathematics, must be satisfied.